If you follow me on Instagram, you may have seen that recently I’ve been trying out some spring beauty trends in association with Boots UK. Spring is always a great time to try a new look, embrace a brighter you, and welcome the (hopefully!) warmer weather with open arms and a bolder look. Boots is on a mission to raise the health and happiness of the nation and they’re making it even easier with offers on loads of haircare and makeup products.
In this post I wanted to show you how to create new looks for the season with inspiration from tons of makeup brands such as No7 and Maybelline, all of which you can easily find on the high street thanks to Boots. Don’t forget to let me know your favourite look in the comments below!
This is a sponsored post in association with Boots UK.
The first trend I was challenged to try was GLITTER LIPS which I was so excited about. My instagram series Unwearable Lex is all about finding unusual and potentially scary beauty looks and just giving them a go. One of the best things about make up is that it washes off! You can try something in the privacy of your bedroom and if you don’t like it, no one ever has to see it. But trying it is so, so much fun!
View this post on Instagram
It's finally spring (apparently!) and what better way to kick-start the season than with a brand new beauty look? @BootsUK asked me to try out some spring trends, and you should all know by now that I'm a fan of anything eye-catching and unusual, so the new trend for GLITTER LIPS is a definite winner for me. I filmed a quick tutorial to show you how to achieve this dazzling look with minimal effort and maximum impact. Don’t forget Boots has offers on loads of makeup products so you can have a go too! ✨💋✨ #AD
If you want to recreate the Glitter Lips look, here are the step by step instructions:
- Prep your lips for your lipstick by lining and filling them in with lipliner. I used the NYX Professional Slide On Lip Pencil in ‘Rosey Sunset’* which is matte enough to create a great base for lip colour but creamy enough that your lips feel comfortable.
- Apply your lipstick – I chose the L’Oréal Paris Color Riche Gold Obsession in ‘Rouge Gold‘*. The L’Oréal Paris lipsticks are some of the best on the high street (in fact I prefer them to MAC lipsticks… *prepares for hate mail*)
- Pat on the NYX Professional Make Up Glitter Primer* so you don’t smudge your lipstick. I used a small amount and focused in on the centre of my lips.
- Now for the fun bit! Take the Barry M Fine Glitter Dust in ‘Crimson Pink’* and using the Seventeen Lip Brush*, gently pat the glitter onto your lips. You can apply as much or as little as you like, depending on how much of an impact you want to make.
I love this look and think it would be great for a festival look or a party. I’m going to be trying the NYX glitter primer on my eyes soon so keep a look out on my instagram for that!
View this post on Instagram
✨Shine on!✨ An enduring beauty trend for spring/summer is no-make-up-make-up. The focus is on flawless, glowing skin to give a healthy and simple look. @BootsUK challenged me to try out this look and it's probably my biggest challenge so far – I'm a bold lip, bright liner, obnoxious colours kind of girl so this is WAY out of my comfort zone… but I really like it! Boots have everything you need to recreate this look: a medium/high coverage foundation for a perfect base, an easy to use highlighter and a natural non-glittery bronzer. Leave the rest of your make up simple for maximum impact: pared back lashes and brows and a pretty glossy lip keep the focus on your skin. Will you embrace the natural look? #AD
Next up was my biggest challenge: SUMMER GLOW. For most people this would be the easiest trend, as it’s probably what most people do as an every day beauty look. But as you may have worked out from my selfies on instagram, I’m more drawn to a bold lip, a bright eye, an intense highlighter look… anything a little OTT and I’m so on board. I think it comes from my rosacea: my way of distracting from my skin is to draw the eye to other parts of my face. So the spring summer trend of minimal, natural-looking make up filled me with fear! See how I achieved this look below:
- I applied L’Oréal Paris True Match in ‘2.N Vanilla’* in light layers. Although True Match isn’t super high coverage (I’d say it’s medium), it builds and layers incredibly well without becoming cakey or heavy. This makes it perfect for giving a natural look even if, like me, you have a lot to cover.
- Next we add the summery glow: the Maybelline Master Strobing Stick in ‘Light 100’* is gorgeously creamy and shimmery without being too intense. I found it easier to rub my finger on the top of the stick and pat onto my cheekbones as applying it directly to the skin can slightly disrupt foundation if you’re wearing more than one layer. You can also apply some to the brow bone, cupid’s bow and the bridge of the nose if you want to add a little more shimmer to your look.
- A spring summer look wouldn’t be complete with a bit of bronzer and the No7 Bronzer in ‘Golden Sand’* is beautiful. This shade is great for my pale skin: not too orange, not glittery and subtle enough to look natural. I applied it with the Real Techniques Retractable Bronzer Brush* which is so handy to throw in your handbag for bronzing on the go.
- Keeping things natural and soft, I applied a very light coat of mascara using the Rimmel Volume Shake Mascara* to define the eyes, and lightly filled in my brows with the Soap & Glory Archery 2-in-1 Brow Filling Pencil and Brush in ‘Love Is Blonde’.
- I finished the look with a slick of the Maybelline Baby Lips Moisturising Lip Gloss in ‘Fab & Fuchsia’*. I’m not a big glossy lips girl, but these aren’t at all sticky or gritty so if you are looking for a pretty gloss, these come highly recommended!
Although I was nervous about this look I actually really like it! It looks very soft and pretty and is very simple to reproduce. I still wonder what it would look like with a neon pink lip though… some things never change!
View this post on Instagram
💅Hot nails!💅 Brighter days give us an excuse for a brighter mani … and I definitely don't need any encouragement! I've collaborated with @BootsUK to record a quick tutorial to show you how to achieve one of the hot spring trends: a rainbow mani! All you need are a few eye-catching contrasting nail varnish shades (Boots have a HUGE range, including the Rimmel, essie, and No7 polishes I used!), some tape, scissors and a dotting tool. DIY TIP: if you don't have a dotting tool, you can just use a hair grip! Will you be trying this fun colour-blocking look yourself? #AD
Nails will always be my true love. It’s what my blog started with (hence the name Talonted Lex!) so I was giddy to film my first ever nail tutorial. One of the most fun spring beauty trends is RAINBOW NAILS and here is my take on the look.
If you fancy trying these nails for yourself here are the instructions:
- Apply a base coat – this will prevent staining and help your manicure to last longer. Who wants to do a beautiful manicure only for it to chip off 24 hours later? I used the Rimmel Nail Nurse Base and Top Coat 5-in-1*.
- Paint your nails in a few different contrasting colours. All that matters is that they’re bright! I chose the following: Essie Gel Couture Nail Colour ‘210 On The List’*, Essie Gel Couture Nail Colour ‘240 Model Citizen’*, No7 Gel Finish Nail Colour ‘Hotting Up’*, and No7 Gel Finish Nail Colour in ‘Mint Treat’*
- Apply the top coat and wait for about 10-15 minutes to ensure your nails are truly try, otherwise the next step will mess everything up!
- Cut small strips of tape and lightly touch with your fingers to take away some of the stickiness. Place on some of the nails and smooth to remove bubbles or lumps.
- Paint your contrasting colour onto the nail and remove the tape while the polish is still dry to give a crisp line.
- On the other nails, use a dotting tool (or an opened-out metal hair pin for those who like to DIY!) to dot nail varnish just above the cuticle.
- Apply top coat and you are done!
View this post on Instagram
🍬Sweet, man!🍬 If you prefer your make up bright and bold, this look will be right up your street. In my last beauty challenge from @BootsUK, I put together this Eye Candy look with a fun 70s disco vibe. This look is really easy to do and you can pick up everything you need from Boots. Start with a neutral but shimmery base colour, draw on a winged cat eye with a bright pencil eyeliner, apply a *lot* of mascara and bat those lashes. Can ya dig it? #AD
And last but not least, the fourth spring beauty trend is CANDY EYES which I love! The basic premise is to make your eyes the focus of your look by using bright and bold colours. You could do a bright strip of coloured liner, an inner corner sparkly highlight or a beautiful bold cat eye look like I did above… Here’s how to achieve this simple but eye-catching look:
- I applied a combination of neutral and gold tones to the eyelid and crease using the Maybelline 24 Karat Nudes Eyeshadow Palette*.
- But the real star of this look is the eyeliner and I chose the beautiful Rimmel Exaggerate Automatic Waterproof Eye Definer in ‘240 Aqua Sparkle’*. It’s very creamy so goes onto the eyelid easily but sets to a matte finish so that it doesn’t end up transferring all over your eyelid. Colour in your whole eyelid and then take the pencil out in a wing at the corners to give a modern cat eye look.
- Add a LOT of mascara to give definition and intensity: I used the Rimmel Volume Shake Mascara* again and did about 3 layers, really wiggling the brush into the roots to add depth and volume.
- I finished the look with a swipe of L’Oréal Paris Collection Exclusive Lipstick in ‘Barely Peach, Julianne’s Nude’ – yes, I do own some nude lipsticks!
After doing this look I just wanted to throw on some flares, give myself some Farah Fawcett flicks and hit the disco. It’s just so fun and pretty! I think it would look brilliant with a bright green or purple as well… in fact, that may be the next look I try!
Which is your favourite of the spring beauty trends and how many of them will you be trying? You can pick everything you could possibly need to create these looks from Boots, with most of these items currently featuring in a deal. Even more of a reason to treat yourself! What better way to kick-start the season than with a brand new beauty look?
*PR sample. Links may be affiliate. For more information please see the Disclaimer tab at the top of the page.